Researching 14th Century clothing

Well, another sewing project is in the works. My husband has been wanting to up the look for his 14th Century clothing so off to the races for me as I research the items that we both need to make this happen.

I figure I will start from the skin and work my way to the outer garments. That means starting with undergarments.

His list of garments includes: braies, chausses, shirt, pourpoint, and cotehardie. There will also be a coif and a hood to complete the look. That means plenty of research.

I started by trying to research patterns for the braies first. There are several different thoughts and pattern structures for this item. I will have to give in on the comfort condition of the braies and probably make them in the style of the "boxer short" version. He's the one that will be wearing them and will have to be comfortable. This item of clothing should not be too hard to tackle.

     14th century braies or underwear, from the Catalonia "Love Breviary"

The chausses, on the other hand, are a completely different matter. He flinched quite a bit when I told him these had to be patterned on him. The look was priceless.

So, from here it is finding the best pattern to use for the braies and then I start hammering out some clothes.